Pacific Motorway Upgrade Project
Joint Venture: Bielby Holdings, JF Hull Holdings & Albem Operations
Contract Value: $305M
This ECI project involved the design and reconstruction of the Pacific Motorway between Springwood (South) and Daisy Hill. The upgrade consisted of widening the motorway to 6 lanes with the future ability to extend to 8 lanes, including a major multi-level interchange at Loganlea Road and associated service roads to cater for 30% increases in traffic volume.
Team M1, consisting of the Department of Transport and Main Roads, the BHA Joint Venture and designers GHD and Bonacci Group, worked collaboratively throughout the project duration – delivering excellent value for money outcomes through innovative thinking and technical solutions.
Key features of this project include:
- Refurbishment of a 3.3km section of motorway including heavy duty asphalting, widening of road shoulders, safety barriers and improved signage.
- Upgrading the Loganlea Rd interchange with signalised intersections to increase capacity and relieve congestion.
- Demolition and replacement of the Loganlea Rd Bridge with a new 5 lane overpass.
- Construction of new on & off ramps requiring large scale retaining walls and overpass bridges.
- Improving public transport for the local community through the construction of a new Park ‘n Ride facility.
- Construction of off-road cyclist / pedestrian facilities.
With in excess of 140,000 vehicle movements per day, this project presented significant challenges for traffic management, sequencing, access and safety. In addition, community and stakeholder management was a critical issue, with local residents and businesses on all sides of the project. The project was also positioned within a highly sensitive ecosystem, including a known koala habitat and bat colony.
The technical, social and environmental complexity associated with the project was handled by the project team through a detailed planning and sequencing approach which focused on mitigating the issues at every stage of delivery, resulting in a highly successful project with exceptional outcomes for the client.